Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Cinderella Story - Pumpkin Pie 1

We bought this 10 lb blue pumpkin at the farmers market this weekend. It was $10, I kid you not. Seemed a bit much for a pumpkin to me. But, hubby wanted to make a pumpkin soup for a dinner party we had last night.

He baked this 10 pounder. Used some of it in the soup and then used it to serve the soup. It was cauliflower and pumpkin soup with smoked ham and a lime & white wine sour cream garnish. Lovely, truly, but this blog is about pie.

So there was all this pumkin to be used. I rinsed off the soup and discarded the soupy tasting bits. And, then processed the pumpkin. I started out in the blender. Not working, so my mother-in-law suggested the food processor. It worked, and after a couple of batches I had over 6 cups of pureed pumpkin.

I have wanted to try to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. My mom and my mother-in-law say that the canned stuff is just as good. I wanted to prove them wrong. Or at least know for myself. My guess, anyhow, is that my mom has never processed a pumpkin.

We had a beauty, fit for Cinderella herself. It started out a lovely green blue and when cooked the skin turned a palish ghoulish green. And the flesh was just perfect, dense and tasty.

Here is the recipe:

  • 3 eggs
  • 2 c of strained fresh or canned pumkin (the rest went into the freezer)
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 t of ginger
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1/8 t cloves
  • 1 t nutmeg (I grated this in)
  • 1 c evaporated milk
  • pie shell

Beat the eggs until the yolks and whites are incorporated and then add the pumpkin, brown sugar, and spices. Mix. Then add in the milk. Mix again and pour into a pie shell. I made a 9" as usual. This is more than could be held in a nine inch so I put the extra in a ramekin and made a pudding. Cook at a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 325 and cook for another 35 or so until the middle only jiggles a bit.

I tried the pudding out of the oven. I think the fresh pumpkin does taste better. This could of course be that it is REALLY late, and I have a case of wishful thinking.

It is smoother and less thick. I would maybe cut back on the spices and sugar to allow the pumpkin to show through abit more. But yum. Will give you the husband's feedback tomorrow morning. And mother-in-law and friend are coming over tomorrow to watch the kiddo while we go out, so I will get their feedback as well.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger MzAriez said...

Sounds yummy!

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way your Mom has processed a pumpkin. I baked it in the oven first, and then did the blender.
It was ages ago, and I decided that the can pumpkin tasted just as good, and the time I used fixing the pumpkin, I could use elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home