Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Pumpkin Pie Challenge


We spend Thanksgiving generally with my husband's family, it is a elegant yet fun potluck affair. We responded to the call with a smoked ham and a request to make pies. I however, had some competition, one Aunt called the pies as her territory. I pleaded to make the pumpkin pie, as it is THE Thanksgiving pie. After reading the blog, she acquiesced and let me try my hand.

A triple-threat Ginger Pumpkin Pie was featured in the Post, they called it Trendy. I decided to try that, as well as a tradiitional version. I called my mom, she said she used the one on the back of the Libby's can.
Late Wednesday night, after I put my daughter to bed, and while my husband was out with a friend I began ..... The Pumpkin Pie Challenge.

I started with the traditional version. I made the crust, with butter. It rolled out well. I seemed to remember my mom's used allspice, but anyhow here is Libby's recipe:

  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ground ginger
  • 1/4 t ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 can Libby pure Pumpkin (15 oz)
  • 1 9" pie shell

I beat the eggs and then stirred in the pumpkin and then the spices which I mixed together. Then I stirred in the evaporated milk. I poured it into the shell and stuck it in the oven. Three minutes in. I started to review the Ginger recipe.

AHHHHH!

I had forgotten the SUGAR! My grandmother did this one thanksgiving, apparently the pie looked beautiful. And, she tried to stir it into the cooked pie; that year the Day went pieless. With my husbands help (he had just arrived home) we whipped it out of the oven poured the batter out and stirred the sugar in. Noone was any the wiser. I cooked it for 15 mintes at 425 and then 45 monutes at 350.

So, back to trendy Ginger.... The differences between the two pies: fresh pumpkin in this one, the spices and I used the homemade pumkin from the soup described in the previous installment.

I started with the cream cheese crust. It was suppose to be easier. What a crock. It was a huge pain. You had to blend in the cream cheese, then refrigerate, then prebake it. I decided to forego the pie weights, because that is a PAIN. And then the crust also SHRUNK. Never again. And, the cream chees crust tastes thick and is greasy (and more full of fat). So I am not even going to provide the recipe.

The custard was great though. A real hit. 3 kinds of Ginger - fresh, powdered and crstallized.

  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated ginger root
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups fresh pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped

(from the post)For the filling: In a large bowl, combine the eggs and brown sugar, whisking until smooth. Add the cream, vanilla extract, grated and ground ginger, cinnamon and salt and continue whisking to combine until smooth. Add the pumpkin and stir until thoroughly combined, then pour into pre-baked pie crust. Bake until the filling is set in the center and the edges are firm (test by giving it a gentle shake), about 45 minutes (at 350). Remove from the oven and sprinkle the crystallized ginger over the center of the pie, if desired. Cool at room temperature for about 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate.

We walked both pies over, and in the baby carriage they got a little banged up. They tasted pretty good.

My husband thought the traditional pie was very good. But the ginger was the true winner. The fresh pumkin has a true depth. But we both thought that there could've been more ginger. The other guests too commented on the ginger being tasty.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, Blogger Hollywierd said...

Mary - I want some of this pie when I am in New Orleans. You better not hold out, snatch! I will eat carbs just for you.

Love,
T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home