Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Birthday Pie


My mom has the same birthday as me. Every year she sends me a carrot cake. Last year she was a bit melancholy because she was making her own cake.

This year, I am making her a pie. I called under the pretense of Pie blog research. I asked her about pies, why she started making them, who else in her family made them. Most importantly I found out she likes Apple and Pumpkin best. So, I am making her the Triple Ginger Pumpkin. Then I am shipping cross country to arrive on her birthday. This year she won't need to make her cake.

But I did learn some cool stuff too. Turns out my grandma and great-grandmother (on my mom's side) hated to bake. However, my grandfather's mother was a caterer. And she made pies. Ah ha! She catered for the Williamstown, MA elite at the early part of the last century. Including for Teddy Roosevelt. My great-grandfather was the town blacksmith. Teddy took a liking to him and gave him a sheep dog. Like I said, cool.

I have always liked to bake too: cookies, brownies, popcorn balls, candy. The pies are new. But as my mom says, you come to pies later.

Postscript - so I sent the pie. Fedex charged $75. The fedex person said it was likely the most expensive pie ever. Mom was very surprised and said she and my dad enjoyed it.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And it was a very yummy pie too. Sorry someone ripped off your cake. Oh well. Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home