Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Peach Perfect


Ever since peaches started arriving at our local market, my husband has been asking for a peach pie. This week I finally made one. I have to say I wasn't too excited about the idea of peach pie. Our peaches have been so perfect that I truthfully didn't want to ruin them by putting them in pie. And we were eating them so fast that I never really had enough to make a pie.

Last week though I bought 6lbs of yellow and white peaches and nectarines with the intent of pie. And, I like that my hubby is into the pies, so I definitely wanted to try it. I consulted my trusty 1965 Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook (a very well considered present from my sis) and James Beard's American Cooking. Hubby wanted a simple peach pie, so I went with this one:

Old Fashioned Peach Pie

  • Pastry for a 2-crust pie
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 3 T flour
  • 1/4 t cinammon or nutmeg
  • 1/8 t of salt
  • 5 c sliced fresh peaches
  • 1 t lemon juice
  • 1/8 t almond extract
  • 2 T butter
Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add to peaches. (I blanched and peeled them). Sprinkle on the lemon juice and almond extract. Pour into pastry-lined 9" pie pan. Dot with butter.

Bake in hot oven (425 degrees) 40-45 minutes or until peaches are tender and crust is browned.

I added a bit extra lemon and almond extract. And I used all yellow peaches, and one white because I ran out.

I made it for a dinner with friends; it was very well received. The flavor was really wonderfully peachy. A good peach does make a good pie. Hubby loved it, it was exactly what he was hoping for. "It was the perfect American peach pie."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home