Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Lemon Meringue and Pecan Pie Shower


I was hosting a baby shower. Luckily my cohost was making all the food except for the deserts. I, of course decided on pie.

Showers are weird. Everybody gets together to give gifts to the honoree. It seems really overt. I actually prefer the all girl event. It at least seems beyond just gifts, more about sharing experiences, talking about girly stuff. This was particular shower was a coed event. No games, no advice. But great food.

The cohost, as well as the two showerees are chefs. Murphys law with a bunch of chefs to please, the pies weren't my best by a long shot.

I tried Lemon Meringue and Pecan - with maple this time.

Lemon Meringue Pie
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3 T cornstarch
  • 2 t lemon rind
  • 1/3 c lemon juice
  • 3 T flour
  • dash salt
  • 1 1/2c water
  • 2 T butter

Meringue
  • 5 egg whites
  • 10 t sugar
  • 1/2 t cream of tartar

In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water and cook over medium heat until thinkch and bubbly. Reduce heat and cook and stir two minutes more.

Seperate eggs and whites. Beat eggs slightly and stir 1 c hot mix in. Put all back into the saucepan. Bring the whole lot to a boil. Cook and stir two miuntes more. Stir in butter and lemon peel Gradually stir in lemon juice. Pour into a baked pie crust.

Mix the sugar and cream of tartar. Beat the egg whites. Gradually add the sugar mix. Beat until stiff. Spread in a peak like fashion over the lemon mixture. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes until brown.

This is my mom's recipe. She makes a great lemon pie. Mine wasn't so hot. It looked beautiful. But unfortunately the pie crust could've been more cooked. And the filling was a bit runny. It tasted good, but it wasn't great. I had added more lemon than she had said, but it still could have been more lemony.

My mom also gave me a great tip. She said to avoid uhaving to use pie weights when baking an empty crust, poke it ALL over with a fork. Make sure you have ample overhang. If the pie starts puffing while baking pop it down.

The chefs were kind, they said the pies were good. I think it was performance anxiety. They were okay, but not great.

To make the pecan, I substituted maple syrup for the karo and used white sugar. Unfortunately the crust didn't come out well. It was tough. The maple syrup was more subtle than I had thought. Then two days later I read a maple syrup pecan pie in Gourmet - ARRRGHH! It was with lemon. Next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home