Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Deep Dishin' Peach Plum Pie


"Even the inexperienced cook excels with these pies. She need not blush over a soggy undercrust," quoted my fantabulous Complete Pie Cookbook.

The deep dish pie is an interesting animal. It is essentially 1/2 the pie crust with double the fruit. The crust is much simpler, you just roll it out, plop it on top of a flat caserole typ dish and cut a few steam vents.

My friend was having a bbq, so I decided to try Peach-Plum (deep dish) Pie.

  • Pastry for a 1-crust pie
  • 2 c sliced peeled peaches
  • 2 c quartered red plums
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 2 T butter
Place fruits in an 8x8x2 pan (I used a 10x6x2 oval). Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon, sprinkle over fruits. Dot with butter. Roll the dough over the size of the dish. Trim the edges and place on top of dish. Fold edge of crust under and prest against inside of pan. Cut steam vents. bake 35-40 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

I didn't cut enough vents and it broke through the sides and bubbled over. I brought it to the party and warmed it up once it was dessert time. I served it with ice cream and was able to stretch what was meant to serve 6 to serve 11 small portions.

Hubby loved it. And 4 of the men at the party made a point to come by and say how great it was. The hostess commented that it was good but too sweet for her. (sometimes she is a little too honest). I thought it was fairly good. The inside was also a nice color. I just felt like I was cheating a little with the deep dish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home