Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Concord Grape Pie - Where it all began


My whole pie fascination started just under a year ago. I had a bunch of Concord Grapes. And, I wanted to try my friend's fabulous tart recipe but it had too many steps and involved marcarpone, which I didn't have. And it required that you pit each grape, which is an incredibly labourious and acidic task.

So, I found this recipe on Cooks.com. I made it once, then twice, then three times. We had a lot of people through the house over the two weeks. My husband kept complaining that he wasn't getting enough. So, I kept making more.

It is sweet and tart and crunch and super yummy. This time around we couldn't even wait until it cooled to eat some. It is really one of the best pies there is.

1 1/2 lbs. (4 c.) Concord grapes
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shell
Crumb Topping

Slip skins from grapes; set skins aside. Bring pulp to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Press pulp through sieve to remove seeds. Add skins to pulp. Combine sugar, flour and salt.

Add lemon juice, butter and grape pulp. Pour into unbaked pastry shell.

CRUMB TOPPING
Combine:
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
6 T butter

Cut butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie. Bake in hot oven (400) about 40 minutes.

1 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Soup Diva said...

I live in Naples,N.Y. "Grape Pie" country and have been making grape pie for a long time. I put the skins un a food processor and pulse them. It makes a nicer consitency in the pies. Hope this helps. Diane the "Soupdiva"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home