Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mary's Asian Pear Pie


I wanted to experiment with an asian pear pie. None of my cookbooks broached the asian pear. Online I could only find one recipe from Sunset. But it was overdone with caramel toppings and so forth. What I was really worried about was the consistency of the pie; asian pears seem like they have a lot of water. The Sunset article recommended 6 T of flour, so that is what I went with.

Mary's Asian Pear Pie
  • 6 asian pears (a mix of hosui, shinseki, olympic)
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 6 T flour
  • 1/2 cup of candied ginger
  • half a lemon squeezed
  • 2 T butter
Mix all the above and put it in a double crust pie. Dot 2 T of butter underneath the crust. Bake at 425 for 50 minutes.

Again, I forgot to put on the butter under the crust and had to delicately reopen it. I also used the Gourmet crust recipe again (see last post).

The taste was fantastic. The asian pear flavor shined through. The ginger and lemon accented it well. It probably could have used a bit more lemon. And, it tasted better the second day once the flavors had time to develop.

5 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trying to decide what to do with the too many, but small and spotty asian pears we harvested from our tree this year. We will try your pie, it sounds like it may be a magnificent use for them ! Thank you

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger District of Pies said...

Great! I hope the pie turned out well - if you check back, let me know!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Mr. Brueghel said...

Oh, I am so happy! Made this just this morning with my two-year old from pears we picked off the neighbors tree. It worked great! A really delicious pie. Funny thing is -- I read all about you forgetting to put the butter under the crust and then I did just that and had to peel it back. Guess I followed the recipe a little too close! Thanks!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger District of Pies said...

Great! I am glad that you enjoyed it!

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some friends gave us a case of Korean pears - made this recipe yesterday - SOOOOO GOOOOOD! Fresh and light and delicious. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home