Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Six Pies Plus - Apple, Pear, Berry & Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving


I offered my friend a pie tutorial before Thanksgiving. They were hosting and my friend was making the pie. We were not hosting this year, I was only doing pie - so I thought why not have a pie-making party. Another friend came along too. On the eve of, we made pies for all our three of our Thanksgivings.

We made 3 Pumpkin Pies, an Apple Streusel, and a Pear Streusel. The next day I made a mixed berry pie. I also made three little pies: pear, berry pear & pumpkin - so we would have something left at home (of course they didn't even make it to the day after)

The pumpkin pie recipe was the one straight of the back of the Libby's can. We three girls made all three custards together and we created all butter crusts for each. Over wine & beer I gave pointers on scant ice water, cutting in the butter, and not working the dough too much. They all looked great! One mom went home to tend her baby, pumpkin pie in hand!
Next up we went to work on the fruit pies.
Crust
  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 7 T iced apple cider
  • 1/2 c lard
  • 1/2 t salt
Pear Pie
  • 5 mixed pears (bosc, anjou, etc)
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 lemon
  • Streusel: 1 t nutmeg, 6 T butter, 3/4 c flour, 1/2 c oats, 1 c brown sugar
Apple Pie
  • 5 mixed cooking apples (stayman, granny smith, etc)
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 2 T flour
  • 1/2 lemon
  • Streusel: 1 t cinnamon, 6 T butter, 3/4 c flour, 1/2 c oats, 1 c brown sugar

This time we decided to do lard and used apple cider for the liquid in the crust. As my friend noticed, it was a lot easier to mix and roll. Then we mixed our apples and pears with lemon and spices as the crust was refrigerated. We then mixed chose our spices for the streusel and sprinkled over the crust. This pie baked for 45 mins in a 375 oven.

The next morning I made a butter lattice crust berry pie. I used a package plus a half of frozen berries mixed it with 2 T tapioca and 3/4 c sugar. I also added about 2 t of chopped fresh mint from the garden and a half a lime squeezed in.

The pear was the true winner. Everybody was gaga about it. And the freestyled mini one I just used nutmeg with the pears and cardamom in the streusel. YUM. The pumpkins were good - but just that. The berry was very good, but the mint could have been more, as well as the lime. Neither stood out at all. The mini berry was a real standout though; I combined berry and pear and it was a magical combination - will definitely need to try that soon.

A note - in the picture my friends pumpkin and apple are on the left. Interestingly you can really tell a difference in the use of dark or light brown sugar.

Also I received my first gift pie on Thanksgiving - from a neighbor. It was a sweet potato pie with sweet potatoes from their grandparents farm. It was so lovely to receive a pie too!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lesson! My pie came out to my satisfaction: your standard American mom pumpkin pie. The crust (and the main reason I needed my pie lesson!) was the winning aspect... at least according to the hubbie - who ate the WHOLE pie over Thanksgiving and the weekend.

Well, I did have a piece (and one of our cats tried to abscond with some too, but was thwarted by the pie-loving husband).

Anyway, I would have mixed the crust WAY too wet (trying to follow the feel of my dad's bread making dough), so it really helped to make my first crust with your direction.

I think I've made the leap from savory to sweet and am ready for more pie making in my future. Next up: PIE PARTY. You know what I'm talking about.

PS: The rice bowl meal was stellar... I always like balancing out the holiday feasts with asian food, so I was in cooking-lesson and meal-with-friends heaven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home