Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Pineapple Strawberry Pie


My sister asked for a pie for her birthday. She gave me my Farm Journal pie book for Xmas last year, and wanted to pick a pie from it. We had actually been fighting beforehand. A decade and a country are between us and sometimes the differences turn acid.

Strangely, it made it hard to make a pie when I was mad. But I pushed through. The idea of strawberry and pineapple, and cooked strawberry, didn't sound appealing. But then it wasn't my pie. So I made it anyway.

Strawberry Pineapple Pie with my mods, from Farm Journal's

  • Double Crust
  • 1 c sugar
  • 4 T cornstarch
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2 c strawberry
  • 2 c pineapple
  • 2 T butter
Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in strawberries and pineapple. Put in bottom crust, dot with butter. Put on the top crust, I did lattice. Bake at 400 50 minutes.

It actually was pretty good. Not too sweet; it didn't need ice cream. It was more like a tart. And, I have moved back to all butter crusts. After a number of crusts using shortening, I just decided butter was better.

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing pie, though I made a couple modifications. I used my large deep dish pie pan. 2c fresh pineapple, 1 lb fresh strawberries, 2 fresh peaches.

Follow the rest of the instructions and you end up with a tropical tasting masterpiece. I'm still debating pressing coconut flakes into the lattice top though.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger District of Pies said...

Thank you so much! I love to see what other people try - the addition of peach sounds lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home