Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sour Cherry Apple Pie

We had a quick dinner party with friends and I had about a pint of pitted sour cherries in the fridge from the summer. That with some apples - sounded like a good pie.

I created my own recipe:

  • 2 crust pie
  • 1 pint sour cherrys (pitted)
  • 3 apples cubed (mix of regular apples)
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 T flour
  • 1 t almond extract
  • 2 t lemon
  • 2 T butter
Cube & peel the apples. Sprinkle lemon juice over the apples. Add sour cherrys then flour, sugar, flour, extract. Mix. Pour into shell; dot with butter (I always forget to do this). Cover with second crust (I did a lattice) Cook at 400 for 40 mins or until thoroughly cooked.

This combo was magical before. This time, it was good - only one slice was left. However, it needed more sugar - maybe a cup. Luckily I served it with sweetened whipped cream. I have been trying to cut back on sugar as the Farm Journal recipes are just too sweet for me. But this one was too tart - maybe too much lemon too. And maybe super fresh cherries and apples too would improve the combo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home