Pie Therapy

Recipes and ruminations on pie.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blueberry Pie


I can't believe in these three-and-a-half years of pie making that I have not yet tried a straight blueberry pie. Well, for a quick dinner with close friends, my daughter (and the friend's daughter) did my first attempt.

This time of the winter always seems to call for frozen berry pies. Sick of apple and not wanting heavy pies, they seem to fit the bill.

Anyhow we used frozen Wyman wild blueberrys and followed a recipe (adapted) from the trusty Farm Journal pie book.

  • Double crust pie
  • 3 c frozen blueberries (one pack of Wymans)
  • blueberry juice
  • water to make 1/2 c combined with juice
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 2 T tapioca
  • 1 1/2 T cornstarch
  • 1 T lemon juice
The recipe says to thaw berries and drain off the juice. There wasn't any, so I boiled some water in the kettle and poured 1/2 cup through the berries to make it juicy. Stir 'juice' into sugar, tapioca and cornstarch into saucepan. Cook until it is thickened. Add berried and juice to liquid and put in pie shell. Cover with second piece and cut steam vents. Bake at 425 for 30 mins or until nicely browned.


The adults LOVED the pie. The kids didn't really, even my daughter. She said it was too blueberry? I think it is well worth a repeat. It is not too sweet. I served it with whipped cream.

2 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger gluten free pammy said...

we go to oregon every year and I always have to pick my blueberries,pam

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Alex said...

This is nice post which I was awaiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information.
Facet Block Injection
Intradiscal Electrothermal Therapy
Intercostal Nerve Block
Intrathecal Pump Therapy
Kyphoplasty
Microdiscectomy Spine Surgery
P-Stimâ„¢ Device

 

Post a Comment

<< Home